Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Akins Sues BATFU

The inventor of the Akins Accelerator, the replacement stock for a Ruger 10/22 that allows controlled bump firing, is suing the United States over the BATFE's ruling that the Accelerator wasn't a machine gun, but now is. Here's the complaint.
And here's the "Cliffs Notes" version:

Dear BATFU,

I just invented a gizmo, put a lot of work into it, even got a patent, and before I commit myself and invest massive amounts of time, effort and money beyond what I've already put into it, I'd like a ruling from you on whether or not it will run afoul of any regulations. Once I get your OK, I'm going to manufacture and sell it.

Awaiting your green light,
William Akins

---------

Dear Mr. Akins,

We've checked it out and understand the concept and function, and can tell you with certainty that your design is compliant with all laws and runs afoul of none. If you were wating for a clean bill of health from us before investing your life into this, you now have our unqualified approval.

Yer pals,
BATFU

---------

Achtung,

Guess what? Now that it's over three years later and you've put everything you've got into manufacturing your device, I've decided our previous approval was "wrong" (HA! PSYCH!), even though I can't tell the difference between a trigger function and a trigger pull. Anyway, you're now making machineguns, which means we're going to destroy you even further than we have already if you don't stop it immediately, plus render what you've made to date functionally useless, that is, valueless.

Basically, I'm telling you I won't allow you to own a spring.

Hey, what's a little expost facto screw-over between master and...what's that you people call yourselves again...? Oh, yeah, "citizens" [SNORT]--Good one!

Say, you don't have any kittens we could stomp if we decide to do a raid, do you?

Ha ha,
Maximum Mike
[Via Matt Knighten]

No comments: