Sunday, March 09, 2008

Personally, I'd Rather Have My Kid

More than a year after a law enforcement officer’s mistake left a teen dead and a family in grief, Peyton Strickland’s parents finally have found closure.

That closure came on Tuesday evening with a settlement of $2.45 million and a public apology from New Hanover County [North Carolina] Sheriff Sid Causey. Additionally, Causey agreed to an independent review of the heavily armed team responsible for Strickland’s death.

That wouldn't bring any "closure" to me. I'd still miss my boy.

A friend of mine went to visit his relatives in Sicily. My Uncle is interred there, at the Nettuno American Cemetary. He was killed in action, little more than a boy, but by default more of a man than most, who had spent all his life prior to that in Warren, OH.

My friend took a Polaroid of Uncle Nick's grave and I gave it to my Mom. She looked at it and cried. Excuse me, dammit, I am tearing up now, it was just so sad to see her pain and to recall it now.

It was over half-a-century later and she still missed her kid brother. It still could break her heart, as losing their only son broke the hearts of her parents until the day they died.

I don't know what the hell this "closure" is the reporter being quoted is referring to. How do you stop grieving for a lost child?

[Via William Y]

2 comments:

chris horton said...

Sorry your family still suffers.

My Great Aunt still cries when she looks at My Grandfathers picture as well. He was killed in the Bulge. She's now 82.

Like the person who commented on the guy from the college in Va. at Weis at the OC website said: "It's all about the money."

I'd rather my son as well....

Anonymous said...

Exactly. How is a check supposed to replace a young man?

But you might want to compare the Strickland case in NC to the Culosi case in Fairfax, VA.

At least in North Carolina the sheriff fired the deputy, apologized to the family, agreed to outside policy review, and paid a monetary penalty. Hell, the D.A. even attempted to get a grand jury indictment against the deputy.

After the Fairfax SWAT officer shot and killed the unarmed Dr. Culosi the department would not only not speak to the family but their recommended solution was to suspend the officer for a couple of weeks! The D.A. would not seek even a misdemeanor charge against the officer. Apparently there is no such thing as negligent homicide or manslaughter in Virginia. Who knew?

Getting back to the first point, your readers might be interested in reading Mrs. Culosi's comments about the loss of her son on my recent blog entry.

Thanks for all you do, David. You're a great American.