Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood

"The bottom line is that this protest is not going to change anything," said Jack Rogers, director of public safety at OSU. "The Oregon administrative rule overrides any provision for concealed weapons, and it is very unlikely that the Oregon University System will yield to any change on this subject."...

Rogers, however, doesn't believe that an average gun owner would know how to use deadly force properly in an extreme situation.

"We in law enforcement have gone through an extreme amount of firearms training," Rogers said. "We're the ones who are the professionals."

He also said that students who carry concealed weapons may not be knowledgeable enough to determine when to use deadly force and when to restrain. Rogers believes that firearms in a college environment have to be controlled.

"The bottom line is that we have well-trained and well-prepared staff here who know what the training is all about," Rogers said.

"[The use of deadly force] doesn't come lightly; it takes a tremendous amount of training to use deadly force."

Right.

This coming from the guy whose best advice is run or hide. If you can. He won't tell you to pray if you can't, because OSU is a public institution, and there's that "wall of separation" (that somehow doesn't keep the evil out)...

By your logic, Jack, all 48 states that have successfully implemented some form of concealed carry provisions must rescind them because--why is that again? Oh, yes, you're (and we knew this was coming) "The Only Ones."

Tell me something, Jack (your middle name wouldn't happen to be "Boot," would it?): If you're not an outright fraud, that is, if you truly believe that line of utter crap you just spouted to The Barometer, wouldn't such incompetence wielded by someone in authority amount to criminal negligence? Is not, in fact, calling someone who uses force to endanger other humans a "director of public safety" a perverse Orwellian oxymoron?

Where do we find the mentality that, with a straight face asserts evil little local edicts "override" unalienable natural rights? And where do we find the mentality that believes him?

[Via Cogito Ergo Geek]

11 comments:

Stephen said...

I bet you that he has had more "training" than I have, if you count classes and what not... but, I would bet every gun I have, that I would shame him on any pistol course.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

"We're the ones who are the professionals."

So close to an exact quote of the most famous words of the patron saint of "Only Ones." Lee Paige must be proud.

Stephen said...

Wow.. patron saint of only ones.... hahahaha..... "I'm the only one in this room..."

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight...an "Administrative Rule" trumps state LAW???

And no, really, I'd be willing to bet you HAVE NOT had as much training as me.

Anonymous said...

Another "Only one's" trained enough! What a load of crap! CCW's are "trained" in the appropriate use of deadly force. They are also taught the personal and legal consequences of abusing that force - unlike LEO's that can literately get away with murder.

Anonymous said...

"extreme training" my a$$! These idiots shoot to qualify maybe once a year, while most who carry for protection shoot at least once a month, if not more.

And why thse jokers keep invoking Lee Paige, I'll never know!

Anonymous said...

This elitist demeanor is a real signal that you are dealing with someone who's not very bright. They are willingly sending out a message that they are unable to think outside of a box. I have found out years ago that stupid people are unable to understand that other people may be, that's just may be smarter then they are. I'm sure with this cop dealing with so many criminals and idiots from that lot. He's wrapped up everyone outside of law enforcement in the same bag of nuts.
Truth be told, I have far more trust in my own abilities than I do with the training of your everyday cop. I do agree there are many good cops out there that want to be cops because they want to make a difference. I know a few of them through clubs that I belong to. My beef with good cops is why they turn a blind eye to bad cops who destroy lives.
When I was growing up my dad told me that there's nothing more dangerous to a man then a stupid broad. I stayed away from stupid woman and it's paid off. With that same logic, there's nothing more dangerous to citizens then stupid cops, such as the one who's running his mouth in this story of conversation.

Kent McManigal said...

I think you guys are missing the kind of "training" he is thinking of. He has been thoroughly trained that he is the "thin blue line", that it is them vs us, that guns are bad unless his "brothers" are holding them. Not the kind of training I want.

Anonymous said...

Here's a link that just came out today. It shows that the government is dumbing them down so badly in government schools that no one will hire them but government. Soon the vast amount of the middle class will be government employees/parasites.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20080430/1a_lede30_dom.art.htm?

Anonymous said...

I wonder how Jack explains why the two guys in this story didn't ventilate the bad guy, seeing as I doubt either one is as professional as he is:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/04/29/0429groceryguns.html?imw=Y

dc

Anonymous said...

I have a valid Oregon CCW. I always carry my weapon everywhere I go. OSU be damned. The Oregon administrative rule OAR 576-065-0010 only applies to students. All they can ask me to do is leave.
People are armed on OSU campus whether the director of public safety likes it or not.