Friday, April 04, 2008

Search Me

For at least 16 months after the Sept. 11 terror attacks in 2001, the Bush administration believed that the Constitution's protection against unreasonable searches and seizures on U.S. soil didn't apply to its efforts to protect against terrorism.

That view was expressed in a secret Justice Department legal memo dated Oct. 23, 2001.

...The 37-page memo is classified and has not been released. Its existence was disclosed Tuesday in a footnote of a separate secret memo...

Exactly what domestic military action was covered by the October memo is unclear.
I hope nobody thinks for a minute that "Homegrown Terrorists" would be excluded if it served their purposes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw a nit of the beginning of the movie "Red Dawn" last night, I hadn't seen it in years.

I noticed something I had never paid attention to before. In the subtitles when the cuban Col. was giving instructions to a subordinate right after the initial attack he said (paraphrased from memory) "go to the sporting goods store and collect all the 4473 forms to get a list of who has weapons and where to find them"

It probably never occurred to John Milius, who wrote the script, that such invasions of privacy, used to nefarious ends, would be perpetrated from within rather than from without.

Are all your firearms tracked to you through 4473's....?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, probably.

They'll have a hell of a time finding them, though.

Trouble is, just about the time I'm ready to bury them, it's time to dig them up.

me said...

Don't you know that detailing "homegrown terrorists" indefinitely is for the children? Without parents the state has new minions to indoctrinate, err, raise.

Anonymous said...

I remember be so lonely when I warned about just this kind of liberty killing crap on 9/12.

Nobody listened, accusation flew as to my patriotism, etc. etc.

I really dumb sonsofbitches.

I used to feel sorry for the stupid, until I realized that most of them are self-inflicted.

Oh yeah, and the pragmatists were calling then for surrender of some rights to ensure security from terrorism. Said it was an imperative.

I especially hate the arrogant stupid.