Friday, May 23, 2008

Setting a "LEO" Straight

I'm sure you meant that what I said is too extreme, a word that depends on context: extreme compared to what? In this case it seems that it's extreme compared, not to what the Second Amendment actually provides, but what you'd rather believe it does. A firm believer in the strict interpretation of the Second Amendment would not go on to say the other things you do about the rights it was written to preserve. But perhaps I can help.
Perhaps.

Assuming a degree of open-mindedness and a recognition that help is needed...both tall orders from what I've experienced.

[Via Ron W]

3 comments:

Laughingdog said...

I do think the term "legally purchased firearm" isn't necessarily offensive. It's just offensive in the way it is used now. What that phrase SHOULD just mean is "a gun that you didn't steal from someone".

Anonymous said...

Smith was correct and history is on his side. The problem is not that he isn't right, but that he is speaking more truth than most people are willing to tolerate.

With that truth comes either responsibility or admission that one is not a good man. That is more truth than most men are willing to tolerate.

"I will fight to the death", how many times do we hear that? How many times is it then followed up with all the conditions under which they would not, without permission?

I will fight to the death to preserve my liberty and rights!!! What? What's that? You say I gotta disarm to go in and listen to a speech about liberty and rights? Oh, ok, you know me I will fight to the death, or until my permission is revoked.

Smith and others like him aren't hated or despised or pilloried because they are radical, nor is it for any of the pretend reasons about proper presentation. It is because they speak more truth than most men are willing to tolerate.

Anonymous said...

"The government now snatches people...ships them without due process to Guantanamo Bay and other places for unlimited periods of time, and tortures them."
I hear familiar echoes in the words of some detainees who are boycotting their military tribunals: "The trials are yours, the courts are yours. How can I trust you? I don't expect anything good from you. I am helpless. You have the force."
Just the way Bloomberg, Daley, Nutter, Nagin and their troops like it.