Saturday, July 12, 2008

Raising Cane

Senior centers and retirement communities are looking for new ways to promote exercise in order to stave off physical decline. Older people interested in honing their self-defense skills, meanwhile, are delighted to find that something they already own can be used as a weapon.
I suppose it's better than nothing, and perhaps instilling an instinct to resist may deter some would-be attackers, but really.

We've been through this before.

Yes, of course I'd rather know some fighting tricks than not know them.

Yes, of course I'd rather have a cane than fight bare-handed.

But if an attacker is deadly serious, ain't nothing substitutes for being able to return the sentiment, and that means having a gun.

But I am willing to compromise. Unfortunately, those presuming authority to define "AOWs" will not meet me halfway on this.

3 comments:

BobG said...

I'd like a modern version of one of these canes.

David Codrea said...

Yeah, I include links in my posts for a reason...:)

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Ugh.

Just don't even get me started about the BATFE and "AOWs"--you'll never shut me up.