Wednesday, August 06, 2008

About Last Night...

You can listen to the show here.

I was pleased with the outcome. Caleb and Bonnie indeed moderated with personal feelings in check, although I note the characterization of "extreme" isn't exactly neutral. Mike Vanderboegh stated his case reasonably and authoritatively. And Kurt and Sebastian presented and defended their arguments clearly and without acrimony.

I do take exception with some of the conclusions, but now is not the time or place to start swinging again. I see a lot of value in the call-in venue for debating differences with more civility than we typically see in the "comments" fusillades.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caleb, if I may presume to think for him, chose Kurt and Sebastian to ensure there would be civility. After all, he didn't ask me, after my couple of thousand words on the subject, nor Straightarrow, or any of the rest of the Merry Band or the Sipsey Street Irregulars.

I probably DQ'd myself by asking if there was going to be a duel when he announced the program. Heh.
III

Anonymous said...

Typically people are more well-behaved in person or on the phone than when behind a keyboard.

By 'well-behaved' I mean not engaging in fruitless name calling.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

By 'well-behaved' I mean not engaging in fruitless name calling.

You want us to call each other fruity names ;-)?

Welshman said...

I agree, David. I think the show went very well and the discussion was valuable.
Martyn

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mike! Smokehouse III

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it. I tried everyting and every option I could and couldn't anything to play. Finally went away.

I didn't much care for the "extreme" in the title, but it sounds like it was a fair exchange and fairly moderated from what others who could hear have said.

Anonymous said...

Actually, one of the topics that I really wanted to discuss, but ran out of time was the definition of "extreme" - we touched on it just briefly, but I actually agree that my usage of it to characterize Mike V. et all isn't really accurate. I mean, look at the Brady Campaign website, which today is calling Sebastian and "extremist" - the definition of "extreme" depends entirely on the person doing the labeling.