Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Neither Predator Nor Prey

At 200 yards, Yugoslavian SKS rifles are perfectly adequate. Purchased for under $150 each via private sales, they were equipped with cheap but satisfactory Chinese made 4 power scopes. The Russian made 7.62x39mm ammunition is not noted for its accuracy, but very much so for its reliability. With these rifles and ammunition, the eclectically-armed duo systematically wrecked the resented roadblock.

The tires went first, then sights shifted to the engine compartments. The two deputies and one of their federal confederates ran as fast as they could to the treeline, covering the several dozen yards in record time and keeping right on going deeper into the forest. The other fed foolishly hunkered down behind his increasingly gunshot gutted GSA.
Western Rifle Shooters Association presents an excerpt from Mark Spungin's new novel, "Neither Predator Nor Prey."

Mark sent me a review copy a couple weeks back for magazine consideration, and I just have not been able to get to it yet--although I expect to get some read time in the next week. I'm looking forward to it. It looks like Mike Vanderboegh and Matthew Bracken fans should like it, too. Matter of fact, when I told Matt I was going to review this, he let me know "Mark is the real deal. I spoke at last years WSSA meeting, and spent the next week with him driving around WY."

UPDATE: Mama Liberty tells me she has written a review...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the government just arrest some kid for writing a novel of monsters going to a high school to eat kids?

Hunch: if the government doesn't win in such novels the author may find themselves needing to hire lawyers. One thing for sure is we are going to find out just how far this homeland SS security is going to go.

Anonymous said...

Matt is right! Mark is a personal friend, and he's "the real deal" for sure.

I've written a review of his book.
http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/08/10/20/editor.htm

Not sure we need lawyers. Wyomingites have rifles... and know how to use them.

Anonymous said...

I just ordered a copy. Can't wait to receive it!

Anonymous said...

I give it high marks.
You won't be able to put it down!
Buy it now!

Anonymous said...

I read mamaliberty's review and I understand her reaction to what made her uncomfortable (aggression by the good guys).

I understand it, I don't share it, nor do I adhere to it, but perhaps more morally superior people than I all feel that way.

At the point violence is forced upon me, and obviously I believe everyone should hold my view, I have no obligation of any kind to those who force it. I owe them nothing, except more pain, expense and hardship than they are willing to endure to win their goals. That attitude serves not only to thwart the current aggressor, but also potential future aggressors who may have similar designs.

I do not hold with current philosophies or laws that present the argument that once an aggressor has been forced into retreat, to pursue him and dispatch him is itself an act of aggression. To my mind, anything less is encouraging the assailant of you or your rights to try again and again until such time as he becomes strong enough to not need to retreat.

I initiate force or violence against no one, ever. But if it is initiated against me, all bets as to my humanitarian nature are off. I may exhibit some mercy or humanitarian tendencies, but only after I have ended all chance of a repeat. I hold that that is the only way to remain free and the
owner of yourself.

So long as an enemy who has attacked is whole and capable of trying again, he is fair game, whether he has left the field of immediate conflict or not.

This philosophy is a harsh one. I do not deny that. But in the end it is the only responsible one, again, my personal opinion. If potential enemies understand this about those they would attack, most times that attack will not take place. Then all the death,destruction, and horrendous acts of armed conflict will not take place. That to me seems to be far more moral and humanitarian a stance.

So, as I say, I understand mamaliberty's distress to the events to which she alluded, I just don't share it.

Mamaliberty, I still love you.

Concerned American said...

One other observation: force has already been initiated.

Much force and for a long time.

See the chronology in the first half of Ross' Unintended Consequences.

Elian Gonzalez.

Rick Celata.

Wayne Fincher.

David Olofson.

Mayor Cheye Calvo.

Thousands of others.

You, as soon as you dare defy a police officer, federal investigator, or taxing authority.

What has not been initiated is counterforce.

Yet.