Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Questioning the Mission

Months ago I wrote a letter to the editor of this newspaper. As a result, Federal Agent Thomas Chittum asked to move the trial of my friends Leonard and Tom Elliott to Frankfort and cited my letter as cause, claiming I had “polluted the jury pool.” I was named specifically before the court and was criticized for questioning both the mission of his agency, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives, and in particular his case against the Bacon Creek Gun Shop. I didn’t realize I was such an influential scribe.
More chilling of public oversight and criticism from our pals the feds--it seems to be one of the few standardized and uniformly applied procedures they have.

[Via SameNoKami]

1 comment:

John Hardin said...

Hrm. I smell a new grassroots project - letters to the editor to "poison the jury pool" wherever they move such a trial to.