Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Awakening

I spent a lot of time in my room with the door locked. When I went home for Christmas break, I bought a storage unit for my valuables because I was afraid she'd rob me. When I returned, she was gone, and I was living alone for the first time ever. The summer before I moved in, the house next door was invaded, and a girl was killed.

I was terrified.

That was the first time getting a gun ever entered my mind.
You're almost getting it. But this statement:
In the end, I fight one type of paranoia and embrace the other
shows you still have quite a bit of learning to do.

Still, it's progress.

[Via Jeffersonian]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm ready to embrace my HK USP .45 at any moment when I'm home... sister in-law just had a female crackhead stroll into her house, drop-kick her, and stroll out with her laptop.... un friggin believable

Kent McManigal said...

Why is "preparation" so often confused with "paranoia"?

Anonymous said...

Kent,

For the same reason that explaining the dangers of unintended consequences is called 'fear-mongering'. If they can safely label us crazy or evil, in their own minds, we can be disregarded more easily.

If their self-delusion is ever forced to face reality, their whole world view collapses, so they build these defense mechanisms into their ideology.