Saturday, November 01, 2008

No Net Loss for the Second Amendment?

In a very tough election climate for Republicans, the good news is that the gun issue is increasingly non-partisan...

There are a lot of races were pro-gun Republican incumbents are being challenged by pro-gun Democrats — no net loss for the Second Amendment.
Yeah, if you believe they really are "pro-gun Democrats." I thought everybody was making a big to-do about how Obama, in spite of telling us what a great 2A pal he is, really isn't.

Sorry if I don't buy into the assertion that these democrats, who almost to a man have endorsed the guy we're told "would be the most anti-gun president in American history," and some with problematic RKBA records themselves, are going to buck their party leadership and jeopardize assignments, relationships, key support, future electability...

I simply don't believe that principle and fidelity to 2A will trump carrot and stick, especially among Beltway democrats.

And while I hope you will be proven spectacularly right and I spectacularly wrong on this, Mr. Kopel, I just ain't buyin' it.

4 comments:

Kent McManigal said...

I don't even believe in "pro-gun Republicans".

SamenoKami said...

In my world the very best rating any Dem could get would be "B." When Pelosi and Reid twist the Dem's arm up behind their back they WILL vote the way the liberal anti-gunners want. If the butt-snorkeling Dems were worth their salt they wouldn't be Dems. They glom onto the NRA only for the hope of a few Fudds voting for them. Here in GA. we have John Barrow w/and NRA A+ and he'll sell the gunners out for his morsel of Dem bread when he has to make the choice.
And the Reps aren't much better in a fight.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

It embarrasses me to have to confess that I once (not all that long ago) bought into the fiction that all was well on the gun rights front, because Democrats were finally learning their lesson. I once sited Montana's Senator Jon Tester, for example, as reason not to be concerned. Boy, do I feel silly.

I'm seeing the same sort of argument made here:

In so far as to a “new assault weapons” law [and the 1994 law was a prospective making-import ban] the NRA fear that type of law could not pass for two reasons. One, Nancy Pelosi is not going to let it get to that stage. And, two, people forget that the 1994 law passed primarily because of Republicans – most of whom are gone.

Uh-huh? Might as well try to sell me a pair of breeding mules, too.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Oops--I meant that "I once cited . . . "--not "once sited."