Sunday, December 14, 2008

Fighting Lies with Truth

Fighting crime with cash...
"Authorized Journalists."

Shall we see if they're redeemable?
Fox 13 and reporter Alcides Segui have missed a much larger story. If gun "buybacks" actually fight crime (and this totally dismisses the proven crime-fighting benefits some guns in private hands provide), that's big news--particularly since, per Don B. Kates and Gary Mauser in the Spring 2007 Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, "the US National Academy of Sciences ... failed to identify any gun control that reduced violent crime, suicides or gun accidents." This was "from a review of 153 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, and some original empirical research. The same conclusion was reached in 2003 by the US Centers for Disease Control...."

So if you have authoritative information to contradict these findings, don't you have a responsibility to share it? Or, more likely, are your headline and story just the hysterics of biased incompetents masquerading as journalists?
Not that I expect an answer, but if I get one I'll share it.

In the mean time, feel free to join me and ask them a question of your own. They're going to continue misinforming the public with drek like this unless and until they get shamed out of it.

[Via Edmund M]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the article, but as so often is the case, I saw no opportunity to leave a comment. Did I miss something here?

Sure would be good if someone else could set up shop a few blocks away and get a first chance to buy some of these guns. Probably would take a very brave FFL to do so... but there might be one out there. :)

Anonymous said...

Found the way to comment. Sneaky buggers have it cleverly hidden. :)

David Codrea said...

I included a link in this post, under the words "Shall we see?"

Anonymous said...

Left my comment, they will "respond accordingly."

Anonymous said...

Thanks, David. I figured that out only after I'd left my comment. I much prefer a direct comment like this one and have my doubts that they will read, let alone use any left their way... but we'll see. :)