Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This Day in History: January 28


Considering the treasonous acts of the current crop of trustees in New Jersey, I'd say some forfeitures are past due.

Also, a very happy birthday to feral elder son Qusay, who turns 18 today. I was listening to music in the car yesterday, and Alice Cooper's "I'm Eighteen" came on. I was 18 when he released it, and many of us at the time considered it an anthem of sorts.

Naturally, I sang along, poorly, with all the inflections in the right places even though I haven't heard it in decades. It brought with it a very strong wave of emotion--nostalgia, lost youth, a precious son who has grown into a boy and a man...

The lump in my throat grows even now until I notice a sheet of notepaper on my desk, bearing the handwriting of archrival feral younger son Uday with this simple display of what kid brothers are all about:
John's To-Do List:

Be a noob.
God, I love these monkeys. Not a day goes by they don't make me laugh, even when it's at my expense, which, naturally, is probably the most fun.

Anyone who wants a crack at them has to go through me first. If I didn't have them, and the promise of their lives, I don't know if I'd be doing any of this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean, David. My youngest son will be 41 years old next month. He has two bright and beautiful boys, ages 6 and 2. The older son has three children.

If it were not for them, and all of the other children in the world, none of this would be worth fighting for most of the time.

It really is "for the children." Freedom and justice are their only hope.

God bless you and your son on this special day. :)

Rova said...

Feed them Cheerios, and let them slice their own bananas! :)

My best to you, and them; and in answer to the very likely question of the day yet to be posed to you, "Which - the Busse, or the Randall 1-7?" we already know the answer has to be "Both!"

Time flies, indeed!