Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pro-Gun Profs

As college professors, we want to reduce the odds of a Virginia Tech massacre happening on a Texas college campus. That's why we encourage the Texas Legislature to allow concealed carry on the state's college campuses. [More]
In the mean time, I'd just ignore the damn legislature, but that's me.

I also wish academia would notice this, by the late Preston Covey: "Can Gun Control Reduce Violence?". It's been languishing in my archives not doing much good for the past few years, and one of Prof. Covey's wishes was that it be shared "in the spirit of 'pass the ammunition'."

You can read more about this remarkable man here, here, here, here and here.

[Via David R]

2 comments:

Defender said...

The legislators won't be on those campuses, but their children and grandchildren might. I wonder if they ever think it through that far.
I've never read of an accidental shooting on one of these gun-free campuses. Let me repeat: an ACCIDENTAL shooting. Obviously there are students and faculty and staff who carry regardless of the law. I know because I was one, and I knew others. Just as obviously, they are safe in every sense of the word. And gun sales figures and the political mood of the country indicate that there will be more of us, not fewer. The people are speaking. Time to listen.

Defender said...

Today's paper front page: "A man who served a lengthy sentence for fatally stabbing a Richmond man in 1978 was shot by police after they say he charged at officers with a large knife during a traffic stop...in the heart of Virginia Commonwealth University's [gun-free] campus."