Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Backhanded Gift

“Blaming the ‘gun culture’ for a criminal act is a calculated insult to the tens of millions of peaceable American gun owners who own firearms and do not engage in violence,” responded David Codrea, whose blog is called “The War on Guns.” [More]
And why would I say that?
[F]undraising. The bigger the controversy, the more specific the appeals for cash.
Really? Can anyone link us to even one fundraising appeal from anyone in "the gun lobby" that mentions the story this guy is talking about?

Certainly not from me. See that "In Lieu of a Tip Jar" click-through in the left sidebar?

Hell, I'm lucky to get readers here to even click on an Examiner link, let alone pass it on. I can't imagine how dismal a prospect it would be if I solicited for funds.

Oh, sure, once in a while I'll tell you about a book I think you might enjoy, or ask to help out with a specific case like Wayne Fincher (who, incidentally, I sent a check to before asking anyone else)...but if that was my strategy for the Mike Lupica story, wow, did I fail.

Sorry, Ken Newton. There were no "high fives" coming from me.

I guess a salaried "Authorized Journalist" might not understand that some people actually believe in what they profess?

Still, thanks for the mention. You spelled the name right.

Next time, though, could you include a link to my GRE page? I could sure use a few more pennies rolling in!

Money money money....

3 comments:

Kevin Wilmeth said...

David, it appears you've been mistaken for the NRA.

These people really have no idea, do they? No idea at all.

Kent McManigal said...

It's called "projection". He is assuming you are behaving like he would if the shoe were on the other foot.

Maybe some people will be curious enough, after the mention, to search for your blog and then find your GRE page. (My earnings are lagging way behind my page views on Examiner now. And yesterday's totals are doing the same. Hope yours aren't doing that.)

Paul W. Davis said...

Thanks David, for remembering Wayne.