Thursday, August 13, 2009

We're the Only Ones Social Networking Enough

Murphy told state troopers that Lieutenant Sherman punched him in the face, pounded him on the back, and ripped his shirt.

He was shouting at him for sending messages to his wife on Facebook and MySpace, Murphy told investigators. [More]
I probably should know more before assuming this is an "Only Ones" story. I know it can be a slippery slope, and I know there are other ways to deal with things, but there are times and situations where I believe a man ought to be able to punch another guy out for inappropriate behavior directed at himself or a loved one. I wouldn't want to deny that consideration to Lt. Sherman just because of his job.

By the same token, I wouldn't want Lt. Sherman arresting me for doing the same.

[Via retrotruckman]

4 comments:

Divemedic said...

I am against the theory that you should be able to punch someone because they are doing something you don't like. This result in one of two results: either the strong bully the weak, or the weak escalate the situation to an armed confrontation.

As far as the specific situation involving this cop: it seems to me that the cop in this case should be taking his complaint to his wife, as she is the one who has the marital obligation.

David Codrea said...

I never said "you should be able to punch someone because they are doing something you don't like." The key phrase is "there are times and situations."

We do not know his, so I gave him an out--we do not know that she did anything to encourage it.

I would be inclined to agree that hunting a guy down to do this is beyond my experience.

I guess what I'm doing here is applying a standard I'd expect to be applied against myself. I never initiate abuse that I'd expect to be knocked on my ass for and in retrospect would think I deserved it.

For the record, I have never in my adult life initiated force. But I can't pretend to be so immune to provocation that I can't conceive of reacting, particularly when the recipient of the injustice is a loved one I am protective toward.

straightarrow said...

Well, I have been in those situations. There are times when nothing less is appropriate.

Too damn bad some people don't like it. I envy them their sheltered lives if they have never had occassion to learn that basic truth.

Crotalus said...

Yeah, David, but you know he will arrest you for it. It's still an "Only Ones" privilege.

"Cathumb" (n) The sound a hammer makes when you miss. (I swear, it was the verification word!)