Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Your Friends at FaxDC.com"

I just received a rather hysterical spam email from an outfit called FaxDC.com, which is offering me the opportunity to "blast fax" all 535 congressmen.

I can be a part of their "Fax.DC.com Army" for $25/month, I can get their "Ultimate Protest package," they call me (and everyone else on their email list) a "Patriot" and they want me to "Be sure to send this Alert to EVERYONE you know who supports saving America and Protecting our Middle Class."

OK--I'm sending it to everyone I know. Along with some observations:

The email contains a word-for-word copy of a column posted yesterday on WorldNetDaily by Chelsea Schilling. I have no idea if using it is authorized or not.

Thing is, I have no idea why WND even printed that column, which seems to be a rehash of the old Blair Holt HR 45 bill--that is in no imminent danger of going anywhere, and somehow mixing it in with the old, dead SB 2099 "list your guns on your taxes" email that's now making the rounds in email forwards from people incapable of mastering either "BCC" or any font smaller than 24.

Here's the deal: Blair Holt has been languishing in committee since January with NO COSPONSORS!

And the tax bill died in 2000.

There is absolutely no need to blast fax anyone about this. To do so is a waste of energy and resources that are vitally needed elsewhere. But it will put money in someone's pocket.

So who are these guys at FaxDC.com?

Well, the "Who Is" lookup at Register.com lists:

Domain Discreet
ATTN: faxdc.com
Rua Dr. Brito Camara, n 20, 1
Funchal, Madeira 9000-039
PT
Phone: 1-902-7495331

Which doesn't actually tell us anything other than it is discreetly associated with someone on a Portuguese island with a Nova Scotia area code.

They appear to have attached themselves to all sort of "conservative" causes--opposing Obamacare, immigration, guns...

OK, here's the guy: Stephen Eichler, J.D. aka "Minuteman Steve."

I can't say anything for or against the guy--I have no idea who he is or what his motivation is, nor would it be appropriate for me to speculate without knowledge.

But I'll tell you this: Anyone who tells you to spend money faxing to stop Blair Holt is not someone who should be leading gun rights activists in anything. Assuming the guy is sincere, he's simply not demonstrated that when it comes to gun issues he's a leader worth following.

I not only do NOT recommend forwarding the email to your activist friends, it seems to me, the responsible thing to do would be to warn them about it.

Also see:
'Qualifying Firearms'
Kill (the) bill
Kill (the) bill - volume two
Kill (the) bill - volume three
Spreading gun law rumors distracts from real threats

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOT THE SAME E MAIL
REACHED THE SAME CONCLUSION
PAUL IN TEXAS
GOOD ON YOU FOR SPREADING THE WORD

Brock Townsend said...

Those two drive me crazy. I think I lost a "friend" when after many such forwards, I told him quite plainly not to send this crap anymore, and after replying to him before with all the pertinent data. Maybe these people could find a job with Hussein.

MamaLiberty said...

I'm spreading the word. Thanks for the head's up, David. Can't believe I didn't get this email. I get most of them. LOL