Saturday, January 16, 2010

What Do You Want from Me, Blood...?

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced Friday that the Obama administration would temporarily grant legal status to the tens of thousands of Haitian immigrants who were living in the United States illegally before this week's earthquake. [More]
Hell, you might as well let them vote, too.

I realize right now special circumstances are called for, but this raises another question. You see, for many years I have been a blood donor--I have the good stuff that can be used for anybody, so they tap me regularly, and it's just something I believe and participate in as a personal civic duty.

But each time they put me through the same stupid drill--read the booklet, answer the questions--and they always want to know if I've been to Haiti, among some other places.

I'm kind of wondering what good it does to answer "No"...and whether having a reliable blood supply isn't a part of true "homeland security"...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Note 'temporary' is not defined in this article but the 'temporary protected status' will extend for 18 mos. Those covered will be authorized to work legally here so they may 'remit' monies to Haiti.

How many do you think will be found if and when the TPS expires?

Give 'em voter cards too, this party called USA is about over.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Forgive a somewhat off-topic rant. I, too, am O-negative, but blood drives in my area won't let me donate, because (being paraplegic and confined to a wheelchair), I can't transfer into the gurney-like things you lie down in, and although there's no rational reason I can't just have the blood drawn while in the chair, they won't allow it--liability concerns.

One of the reasons I'm alive is O-negative donors (rather a lot of them), but silly bureaucracy makes repaying the debt very difficult.

That offends me.

straightarrow said...

I sympathize Kurt. I too cannot donate because of a heart condition. Many years ago I wanted to donate bone marrow and found out that even though I would take the risk and provide "hold harmless" documentation, they still wouldn't let me. I too am offended.

Ok, ok, not just offended, pissed off greatly and very disrespectful of people who will not let the decision be mine.