Saturday, February 06, 2010

Dime Stores

Toy guns back then were very realistic. I had a Tommy gun that had a bolt and fired caps as well as a rattattat noise. It was actual size and color. I owned a pump shotgun that fired caps and ejected plastic shells. All manner of pistols modern and Western as well as Davy Crockett gear and Indian bows and arrows were all over the house. There were holsters and other gear. [More]
Mike H takes some of us old enough to remember on a trip down Memory Lane.

3 comments:

Wyn Boniface said...

God I miss those toys. I had a bolt action that would cycle plastic cartridges. Now a days the toys look nothing like the read deal except for some of the air soft stuff.

Anonymous said...

Those Mattel 'Fanner 50s' are probably worth mega bucks now...

Gaviota said...

When I was ten I had a "Detective Special" snubnose revolver that was made of blued steel, looked absolutely real, could be fired double or single action, had a swing-out cylinder and ejector star, and used plastic caps in a ring configuration which were loud enough to make my ears ring.

One day, while playing Cops & Robbers with my buddies, two LAPD officers stopped, got out of their cruiser, and called me over to check it out. After marveling at the weight and detail, one of the cops declared: "I'm gonna get my kid one of these!"

Sigh. Different days.