Thursday, February 11, 2010

No Easy Answers

Vegas Cop Could Be Charged; Son Accidentally Shoots Self [More]
I've posted on stories before about an officer's child shooting himself with an unsecured gun. I don't put these under a flippant "Only Ones" title because that would just be wrong. I can't imagine the guilt and anguish this father is going through, nor how any decent human soul could survive it.

I also don't know what further punishment the state could mete out that would make any difference.

That said, there are sociopaths who wouldn't let it bother them, or would blame the child. And there are fools and opportunists who will blame the gun. I recall one story of some moron who kept an unconfined python that killed his child and he blamed the snake.

And, of course, there is the very real fact that non-LEOs have been prosecuted.

My prayers go out to the child and his parents.

[Via Harvey]

2 comments:

MamaLiberty said...

No, the gun didn't "discharge." The kid pulled the trigger. If he was too young to learn not to do that, he should certainly not have been put within reach of it.

Except that I can't imagine any child that young being able to pick up a gun, much less reach the trigger. Sure, it could happen, but it's a stretch.

Teach the children... YOUNG

This one obviously was not taught. A serious and painful lesson, absolutely. My heart goes out to the parents and grandparents.

straightarrow said...

There is absolutely nothing they can do to this man worse than he has already suffered.

I don't hold with the disparity in treatment as regards the law, but how could anyone or anything possibly hurt him more?

I won't pray for him, but I won't rail against him, either.