Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Gun Magazines Banned by Military in Iraq?

This is, as Mad Ogre says, "most disturbing":
I just left the PX here on my COB here in Iraq. I just happened to run into the gal stocking the magazine rack, and asked her why there haven't been any gun rags lately. To which she responded that they were not allowed to sell gun rags anymore because they can't accept the liability. [Read]
Sorry, I can't figure out how to link to specific date posts so this goes to the main site. It's the 3/16/10 entry if you happen to read this after it cascades down the page.

Can anyone confirm this? I sent the link to my editor at GUNS Magazine and asked if he's heard anything, and will advise if he has.

If it turns out to be more than a misunderstanding, the next step will be to find out who issues such a ridiculous and offensive directive and turn up the heat.

[Via HZ]

5 comments:

PeaceableGuy said...

Come on, now, we all know that magazines about guns made Hasan live like a pauper, send his money to jihadists, and ultimately buy a gun to shoot at military (disarmed due to military policy) personnel.

Carl Bussjaeger said...

It just now hit me: What if an order came down not to sell gun magazines (ammunition-type) due to liability issues if one failed in combat, and these morons took it to mean paper gun magazines.

David Codrea said...

Still checking, but this is from one of my GUNS Magazine editor's sources:

Off the top of my head I'd say this is bogus. Then again, with the way things are going in-theater... I just started a job back on base as an instructor at the Marine Special Operations School, so I stopped by the PX on the way home and they still have all the gun rags on the shelf. If, if, this is true, I'd say it's confined to one AO downrange someplace, probably at the behest of the battlespace commander. Again, this sounds pretty thin, but AAFES (Army/Air Force Exchange Service) might be able to shed some light. I'll track down some phone numbers.

More as warranted...

Tom Wolff said...

Along the lines of what Carl posted, the first thought that crossed my mind when I read the title was, "Well, WTF are they gonna stick in that hole under the receiver?"

OK, that was a fleeting thought. :D

Seriously, I agree that this is bogus, but I can also see how some REMF might issue such a limited directive. Ain't like ridiculous crap is unusual in the military. IF this is true, someone has STP/FTD in a most outstanding manner!

Worst case, they can always blame it on BOOSH! :D

Wild Deuce said...

I would laugh myself unconscious if Carl's scenario is correct. That explanation would fit a government run operation.