Friday, June 04, 2010

Champion Losers

In yet another nod to the protection of fledgling self-esteem, an Ottawa children’s soccer league has introduced a rule that says any team that wins a game by more than five points will lose by default. [More]
Time was, "Harrison Bergeron" was considered absurd exaggeration to make a point.

What kind of twisted bastard would do this to a child? What kind of loser parent would allow their child to remain under this sick influence? What kind of society would promote this as a policy and expect to survive?

What other species teaches its young to fail?

And how does it serve the ends of those engineering it?

4 comments:

The_Chef said...

This will incentivize shitty goal keeping/fouling in the goal box if your team is up by 5+ and will incentivize lots of "missed" shots on goal if your team is up by 1-4 goals.

Well done, you've just made an amazing sport both more mediocre and more violent.

Unknown said...

I would say. Lets be the worst team in the league by default then. We don't need any stinking trophy !!

straightarrow said...

anonymous, you are a putrid piece of shit. I am your bully. I never played any game, nor engaged in any real world combat where I did not try to win. My life has been saved many times by the lessons learned at the instruction of good men who taught me to strive.

But, if you were truly compassionate, instead of a putrid piece of shit phony, you would understand that we learn more from our losses than we do from our victories. On the forge of failure has been many a winner crafted.

That you do not know that, and that you do not see how unadulterated competition raises the skills and deterimination of all parties tells me you are a putrid piece of shit who lies to him/her self in order to claim moral superiority you have not earned.

I could have been more polite, but you aren't worth the effort.

Oddly the word verification word is "scentun" I guess even the website thinks you stink like a putrid piece of shit.

David Codrea said...

SA, I don't talk to the trash, I take it out.