Friday, August 20, 2010

We're the Only Ones Bursting Through Enough

One minute Bruce and Elaine Reager were watching TV inside their duplex on Summerdawn Street, and the next, Meridian Police had broken it down.

Officers were searching for the suspect of a 911 domestic violence call, but admit they went to the wrong home. [More]

Whaddya know?

Their "law-abiding citizen" sign didn't work. Those inclined to put those cop-supporting bumper stickers on your cars, take note. It's not a guaranteed reciprocal relationship.

I wonder if Bruce had made a sudden move if the results would have been justified under "department protocol"?

[Via Bill W]

5 comments:

Sean said...

Since I usually sit around armed at night, it's going to be pretty funny when, not if, the local jackass brigade pulls one of these at my home. I figure if I'm lucky, I'll take two of them out before they get me. Then again, maybe I won't get any of them. Who cares. At least I stayed on the moral high ground, and avoided good ole' Ft. Sumter(sarcasm off)

Anonymous said...

Not sure what the best solution here was. We can't complain about the cops waiting for supervisors before going in on an active shooter and at the same time complain that the cops kicked in this door. They made a mistake and if it had been yours or my door someone probably would have died. That sucks, but this seems like a reasonable response to me and mistakes do happen.

Defender said...

The domestic violence victims, in not being able to defend themselves, contribute to the national avalanche of police machismo. I wonder if they are anti-gun. I wonder whether they enable the abuser in a pattern of repeat abuse, as many do. So many of our murders are just that same kind of situation allowed to go on and escalate.
Glad the police apologized to the people in the wrong house. I hope it was sincere and not for fear of a lawsuit.
I don't think knocking is ever a bad idea. Not until people are infallible.

Michael Gilson said...

A great advertisement for Door Jamb Armor

triptyx said...

hehe, I have a fairly similar "law abiding citizen" sign. It's backed up by multiple firearms in easy reach. ;)