Wednesday, September 29, 2010

ST&D* To Stop the Carnage!

Study: Texting and Driving Killed at Least 16,000 in US [More]
We obviously need background checks, licensing, bans on easily concealable "junk phones"...say, did you realize that terrorists can buy cell phones? TARFU!*

*

[Via William T]

[I included the footnote link for people like me, who have never texted in their lives. My thumbs are too big, my eyes are too bad and I see no reason why I  would want to spell out letters when I can just call someone and say what I want to say. I guess I'm too old, ornery and set in my ways to get the whole phenomenon.]

UPDATE: Ha!  Tell me that doesn't just figure...

[Via Zachary G]

4 comments:

Kent McManigal said...

I much prefer texting to a phone call. But, that's just me.

For a dose of reality, read this (sent to me by MamaLiberty just this morning): Study: Car accidents rose after states banned texting

Anonymous said...

Like seat belt laws, text/phone use bans enhance the revenue stream, nothing more.

Anonymous said...

Texting makes absolutely no sense to me. I cannot understand the fascination with typing when you can speak what you want to say. But, I also hate cell phones. I don't consider myself so important that I have to carry a phone and check it every 5 minutes to see if someone wants me. I am too old to figure out another stupid fad.

AvgJoe said...

Texting is on the same line as shooting at paper targets and not having a back drop to stop the bullets. Its willfully endangering other people's safety and lives. When a person takes their eyes off the road to text they are putting other people in danger. The answer is not laws for the police to control the citizens. The answer is with the GPS hardware in the cells the towers know where the cell is and if its moving. If a cells is moving over 5 mph it should be shut down from being able to send and receive texting. Voice phone calls should go through. If you are in the back seat and want to text, too bad make a phone call.
Texting and driving is selfish to no ends. If someone hurts my wife or kids being a selfish jerk and texting while driving, I will be there worst. nightmare.