Thursday, January 27, 2011

Write Your Congressman

Repeal the Hughes machine gun ban? For what it's worth, I agree with Ajax 22. [Read]

I discussed the way it "passed" here.

And there's a lot more detail here.

I wish I had more time to spend on this, but I'm afraid my plate is rather full at the moment. Perhaps someone else will find this a niche they'd enjoy occupying...a comment poster on my GRE column indicated he was giving it a try, at least as far as providing an information clearinghouse.

As far as taking political action, I frankly expect to see more energy expended on why there isn't enough "political capital" to go around.  With the level of activism and engagement I see coming out of most gun owners, I can't say I disagree with that as much as I don't like it. 

[Via Microbalrog and AL]

3 comments:

Defender said...

Transcript:

"Mr. HUGHES (during the reading).

Mr. Chairman, I renew my request for a waiver of the reading of the amendment, I do not know why anyone
would object to the banning of ma-
chineguns."

He did that multiple times, four at least.

No need to know what the law SAYS, just vote. Hughes Amendment or Volckmer substitute, the machine gun ban is a PRECEDENT now, I'm sure the Supreme Court would say.

We know how the Cantor Rebobbleheads and the Pelosi Autocrats feel about that. If there is hope, it lies in the Tea Party.

Mark Roote said...

Well, I've done that writing today. I'll be leaving them all with hard-copies of this stuff when I'm there in two weeks.

zach said...

The supreme court has said machine gun bans are constitutional. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but the Hughes amendment will never be repealed. Besides, isn't there a provision that says a chief LEO in your jurisdiction must sign of on full auto's anyway or is that part of the amendment also?

The most infuriating thing about the machine gun "laws" is the most vexing thing about all gun laws: it would take at most 1% of 2nd amendment absolutists to get ALL laws repealed.