Friday, January 06, 2012

Are YOU Meredith Graves?

I suppose any one of us could run afoul of the patchwork quilt of arcane disarmament laws, all of which violate the clear "shall not be infringed" proscription. [Read]

That said, and at the risk of stirring up unforgiving ire, I'm not Meredith Graves.  That's because there's a part of me that has trouble working up sympathy for any gun owner who has been so detached they don't know you will get arrested for having a gun in Bloomberg Paradise.  I guess it's because I see how hard some work at preserving, protecting and restoring, and those who can't even take the time to be aware of the basics enjoy the benefits of their labors, not only "for free," but obliviously. 

Seems I read this story once...

The other thing--being aware and observant of our environment is a cardinal rule of personal safety, which applies to physical safety if you're in the WalMart parking lot at night, or legal safety, if you're in Chicago or New York.  It doesn't give a predator the right to attack you just because you have your cell phone to your ear and your eyes on the ground, but it sure does make his job a lot easier, and you should know that and take personal responsibility for self-awareness and self defense. That's so basic it's redundant.

That said, I absolutely support her right to be armed any damn place she pleases without anybody's damn permission.  As far as I'm concerned, she shouldn't have felt the need to check it in. And I think prosecuting her--or anyone for peaceable gun possession--is an act of obscene and intolerable tyranny.

But it's just that I'm sensitive to those like the non-engaged Fudds, and this seems to have similarities...

[Via Michael G]

2 comments:

blackdog said...

I went to NYC. ONCE. I carried. My family is too important to me not to. I wont be going back.

MamaLiberty said...

Indeed, David... my first thought on reading this story was: What the heck did that dumb cluck expect in New York City? If you are truly interested in self defense, that's one of the places you just don't bother to visit.