Tuesday, November 27, 2012

On We Sweep with Threshing Oar

The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands, 
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!  

Or something like that.

I don't know anyone of value who would object to girls and guns--when we were kids, my big sister got a Daisy along with the rest of us boys, and if I'd had a daughter, she'd have had all options and strong encouragement to pursue whatever interested her, with plenty of opportunities to try new things.  I don't object to teaching boys to be nurturing, either -- I was great with infants, and could do a diaper change and then throw my hands up in competitive rodeo calf-roping time.

But we all know that's not what's going on here with these Swedes.

[Via Jess]

2 comments:

Kent McManigal said...

Thanks for putting this back in my mind.

Ed said...

You do not need to go that far. Here is a story on the MIT Gun Club, where the female students were out-shooting the cadets of he USCG:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/articles/2011/02/06/at_mit_gun_club_straight_a_shooters/