Friday, November 23, 2012

We're the Only Ones Robed Enough

Telling colleagues and superiors that he fears a family law litigant, Anoka County Judge John Dehen wants to carry a gun into the courthouse. [More]
Well, isn't that special?

I remember being summoned as a juror when I lived in SoCal--if you ignore it they send armed men after you. So there I show up, and they made you empty your pockets and go through a scanner, meaning even if you had a carry permit, which, being unconnected I couldn't get to save my life, you'd have to leave it in your car anyway. And the walk from the parking lot was long and you got to run the gauntlet past all the lovely associates of the defendants du jour...

Yeah, judge. I feel for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend chose to carry into a court house (not in California), knowing he'd need to surrender his gun to the guard on duty. "This metal detector is going to beep at me," he said, whereupon an interesting discussion ensued. "Do you have a weapon, sir?" "Yes," after which it was established that he had a permit. "Why didn't you leave it in your car?" "Because I figured it would be safer in your desk than in the parking lot." "...Fair enough." The guard kept the gun, returned it when my friend was done inside, and was much more favorably disposed to concealed carry after their discussion.

Anonymous said...

Apparently this person in particular is ill-suited to be a judge in general, and a pistol-packing judge in particular:

http://law.justia.com/cases/minnesota/supreme-court/2006/ora060712-0919.html

http://minnlawyer.wordpress.com/tag/dehen/