Friday, July 05, 2013

Lemons into Lemonade

This ad just showed up on one of Kurt's Gun Rights Examiner columns. I've been told similar ones have shown up on mine.

It's not our fault, nor is there anything we can do about it.  My guess is the algorithm picks up the keyword "gun" and assigns ads accordingly.

On the plus side, it's making them waste money on pages where no one is likely to be influenced, which in turn allows us to attract bevies of supermodels on our yachts, or at least buy a dollar menu hamburger every couple days or so.

I still get complaints from people who say they're never going to go to our site again because of all the popups and videos, and all I can say is I use Firefox with adblock and never see any of that stuff.  Of course, that also makes me wonder if we get paid for page views where those are blocked.

I'd love to be able to think up a viable different and better arrangement. Unless and until that happens, as I repeatedly plead with regular readers, if you get value from the work and believe you're getting something unique, in lieu of a tip jar, please share our links.

Why wouldn't you?

If you don't get value from it, what in the world are you wasting your time here for?

8 comments:

Crotalus said...

Why not get the monetary value, leave them up, and we can all point and laugh I certainly show them no sympathy anymore

Jerome East said...

Do you get credit for mobile based views or is it only PC browser based? Reason I ask is I am rarely ever on my computer and I have no issues with videos or popups on the Android

W W Woodward said...

If the anti-gunners are helping to pay for getting our message out, just say thank you and go on down the road. It's not often that an enemy finances another's cause (Unless of course we discount all the money the US government sends to countries that hate us).
[W3]

Robert Fowler said...

I've noticed a lot of ads lately for Square. Kind of ironic that a bunch that disallows use of their service to sell gun related items is showing up on pro gun sites.

I pass along your links daily. I and a lot of other do appreciate the work you and some other do. So for now, I'll ignore the ads and digest the information you put forth.

Anonymous said...

Some years ago I wrote (remember snail mail?) to Handgun Control Incorporated and
asked them to send me any literature they had.

They did send me some, and I was surprised at what a remarkable pack of lies it was.

I think it is good to check once in a while on what the other side is doing.
One of my kids says he learned a lot from reading Mein Kampf, Das Kapital, and
Rules for Radicals. So, I guess I will click on this
ad and see:-) Same with the square ads, let's all ask them if we
can use it for selling guns, and see if money talks with them.

DamDoc said...

Hey, keeping us informed lets us show up in protest of their under attended events.. i heard 3 demented trolls showed up at Obama's organizing for useful tools event this week in San Bernadino.. pretty easy to have enough folks show up to show what a pathetic joke they are! Knowledge is power.. and if David gets money and they spend it, whats the harm or foul? Think outside the box folks, we have them on the run to irrelevance...

Anonymous said...

Sorry to take up so much space. Things get curiouser and curiouser. After failing to get results from the infamous ad, I tried your peace sign and went to the Examiner. There was an even bigger ad there, so I tried that one and went to the Kelly/Giffords site.

http://rightsandresponsibilitiestour.com/?utm_source=hpi&utm_medium=ban&utm_content=plane&utm_campaign=tour

There I noticed this post:

3 hours agoGorgeous ride up to Whitefield, #NH.


Bought a new rifle,
{????!!! - EMPHASIS ADDED )


met local gun owners at the Village Gun Shop. #RandRtour pic.twitter.com/XQAsGwpEC8

Now how in the bleep can they do that? Is that just totally fabricated? Or, while I wasn't watching, did we repeal the 1968 law that says we can only buy rifles at home or in the neighboring states (and then only if your home state has passed a law to make that legal)? A friend of mine who lived in MA went home to Maine and wanted to buy his son a gun at the Kittery Trading Post, and they couldn't sell it to him because there is a little bit of New Hampshire in between MA and ME. I did not, repeat, not, post anything at all on the Kelly / G site, because I do not understand enough to say anything useful.

Jeffersonian said...

I use Opera, configured to not load any images until I tell it to. This evidently includes the autoplay videos. The popups don't pop unless I click somewhere inside the tab, then I just [Ctrl]-[F4] and carry on.

Some folks need to learn how to use their browsers.

I open my own nightly blog entry with a link to whatever Examiner column you have, usually followed by Kurt's.