Friday, August 23, 2013

This Day in History: August 23

On the moment of my arrival here to day, was surprised to find the demand of teams encreased to eighty, in which it is said your Excellency acquiessed. This will totally put it out of our power to draw forage from below the lines to form the magazines mentioned in my instructions, or to perform the ordinary duties of teams in this army. I submit to your Excellency whether it is not more than probable that the enemy will in the course of the campaign make some movements which may require my speedy removal to oppose them. How humiliating must it be to me, at such an instant, perhaps with the clamors of a country, to be fixed in a camp unable to move, when the force your Excellency has honored me with is much more than sufficient for the defence of Westpoint? [More]

No comments: