Thursday, October 03, 2013

"Blurred Lines," Indeed

One fifth are oblivious.  It reminds me of some of the ungulates in Oberlin, who were convinced their town was exempt from the laws of nature. I'll bet until "the unimaginable" happened, Sharon Tate lived in one of the safest neighborhoods you could imagine.

The poll was actually in the sidebar of another story that my wife told me about, a high school in Wisconsin that canned the girl's dance teacher because of a halftime routine--at first I wondered if the drum majorette had stuck to the ground in a split, but no, they were simply performing to a song with lyrics that include:
One thing I ask of you
Let me be the one you back that ass to
Go, from Malibu, to Paris, boo
Yeah, I had a bitch, but she ain't bad as you
So hit me up when you passing through
I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two

Oh, Robin Thicke: You're such an edgy, self-made man!  What a gangsta!

Still, the routine was "edited to make it appropriate for high school."So what's the big deal?

I'll bet the majority of these princesses had Hannah Montana backpacks.  Not to mention this playset.

And I'll bet they--and their teachers--are "not at all concerned" as they wend their way through life with eyes and ears (and thumbs) fixed on everything but their surroundings, which at best, remain blurred lines until something unexpected comes sharply and terrifyingly into focus.

2 comments:

Kent McManigal said...

Sorry, but I'd have to include myself in that 19% who are "not at all concerned". But it's because I know that protecting myself and my family is my responsibility, and I have taken measures toward that goal.

MacBeth 51 said...

I'd be in that 19%, also. Primarily as a reflection of where I live. Biggest news in the police reports in the paper here was a bear up a tree. Most of the other reports are of the Feds calling in to report suspicious- by other Feds