Tuesday, November 11, 2014

I Don't Disagree

Some individuals are heroes, some individuals aren't. Some deserve our gratitude, some don't. [More]

Case in point, before he shot up the place, if one ran into Maj. Hasan at an airport, there are some who would walk up, thank him for his service, buy him a cup of coffee, or even give up their first class seat. And it's not like we aren't all aware of other embedded bad actors, and that goes double for civilian "Only Ones."

While some "conservatives" are feigning outrage over this Salon piece, I find it hopeful to see someone with collectivist sympathies resisting the tendency to view a group comprised of individuals as a homogeneous collective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The distinct impression I got from half of the military recruits I trained together with was that they were just in it for the "bennies".

I'm a veteran, I don't blindly thank other veterans for their service, and I dislike being thanked for my service because while service was part of the decision, it was still a decision I chose to make as I determined it to be a net positive for myself.

I hardly think that situation calls for thanks.

Archer said...

I also just love the "deadens real democracy" bit.

As if we live in one, or this useful idiot would be allowed to participate if we did.