Monday, March 07, 2016

We're the Only Ones Trained and Experienced Enough

The search warrant executed at Taylor’s apartment cited no evidence of criminal activity there. Instead, in an affidavit to a judge, police argued that they should be able to search for drugs there based on their “training and experience” investigating the drug trade.  [More]
And we all know how well we can rely on claims of superior training and experience making them the Only Ones professional enough. How do you think this theme got started?

[Via Mike M]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's complete bs! I consider myself a very well, ' self taught', and experienced gun owner. Based on the things I have experienced throughout my lifetime and have had to do, I KNOW that I am educated enough to protect myself and my family against ANYTHING or ANYONE who threatens our safety. I think that theme got started just to keep the masses in check. I'm no sheep damnit.

PolyKahr said...

Perhaps the judge, or judges who signed these 284 warrants needs a refresher course in criminal law. If the Post is correct (a big IF) someone isn't doing his job. As to how the theme got started, I remember that an officer claimed to be the "only one" trained and professional enough to handle his weapon, just before shooting himself in the foot (or was it the leg...) All this in front of a room full of students...

The point of your theme is not to bad mouth cops, but to point out that they are human like the rest of us, and should be deferred to only as much as you would anyone else. They, for all their training, experience, etc. often get it wrong.

Wade