Monday, February 05, 2018

We're the Only Ones Double-Dipping Enough

When Capt. Tia Morris turned 50, after about three decades in the Los Angeles Police Department, she became eligible to retire with nearly 90% of her salary. But like many cops and firefighters in her position, the decision to keep working was a financial no-brainer, thanks to a program that allowed her to nearly double her pay by keeping her salary while also collecting her pension. [More]
What an indispensable community hero! That must be why she gets to carry a gun in L.A. and you don't.

Any bets on how she'd compare skill-wise?

[Via Neil W]

2 comments:

GaryM said...

Back before I retired from an aerospace company, I knew of one employee who was triple dipping. There was no mandatory retirement age, but at age 70 you were required to collect your pension. So he collected his regular salary, his full pension, and Social Security as well. Not the usual case I'm sure, but a pretty good deal all the same.

Steve Miller said...

And YOU DON'T! I had a "wonderful" experience years ago crossing the Canadian border to attend a family get-together up in British Columbia. Apparently we were vehicle # whatever so we got to get the "full Monty" had my pickup's cab searched, our pockets emptied, our suitcases gone through, had to pull up our pants legs, had some empty equipment cases in the back had to open those up etc. etc. One of the "only ones" asked me what I had in my gun safe at home and every freaking time I responded with one item his response was "up here I could have one and YOU COULDN'T" over and OVER AGAIN. And I hated myself for biting my tongue.