Monday, April 09, 2018

Doppelhogger

My name is David Hogg and I’m not from Parkland, Fla. I first found out about the other David Hogg from my grandfather. He called and asked my parents to turn on the TV because there was a David Hogg who looked similar to me and was close to my age—I’m 16, he’s 17. [More]
I never assume a name I find on the internet is the same as the person I am trying to find out more about until I can verify they are. And I've always felt a bit guilty about the very few people who share my name, because I'm sure Google search results have complicated their lives.

We saw a similar situation a while back with a gun dealer being blamed for the actions of a quisling with essentially the same handle.

[Via Mack H]

1 comment:

Steve said...

Yep, here in the U.S. all names are unique. No two people can ever share the same name. I shouldn't be surprised, but it still annoys me.

There was a Honda dealer in the KC area named Frank Ancona. It shared the name with a more "colorful" character, and naturally they got calls.