Friday, November 30, 2018

Who Says Housing Discrimination is a Thing of the Past?

"What I find uncomfortable is coming home to find out that six people I barely know went into my bedroom without permission and went through every single one of my drawers, without any regard to my privacy whatsoever," Pirnie said. "My landlord's e-mail, though carefully crafted, showed tremendous prejudice against my right to legally have firearms." [More]
Yes, "progressives" are obsessive busybodies who only care about privacy for what they approve of.  Same as with speech.

That said, I've shared college housing in my day and locked my door when I left, which would have made an intrusion B&E meriting a police report.  At the time I had no valuables worth extra measures, but if I'd had a gun I knew enough so it would not have been anywhere unsecured to find.

And this business of her being liable for the rest of the geese breaking leases they signed is a BS bluff. The landlord's actions add credence to the critiques.

[Via Mack H]

4 comments:

Henry said...

"We discussed with Leyla that all of us are uncomfortable with having firearms in the house, and that their presence causes anxiety and deprives us of the quiet enjoyment of the premise to which we are entitled," the roommate wrote to Lewis.

These are the same "progressive" people, who, 100 years ago, would have made the same claims upon suddenly learning that their roommate had fractional black or Jewish ancestry.

"Anxiety!" Fetch the fainting couch, Toby!

Anonymous said...

If they all signed the lease, they're all "jointly and severally liable" for the rent for the full period remaining in the lease, that was standard in the ones I signed in that part of Massachusetts when I was going to school and working there for a while afterwards. It's a pretty standard thing in lease agreements outside the state as far as I know.

Of course, she has the option of subletting the apartment, which has risks, or finding replacement roommates. Which might be hard, since conservatives in hiding like her have to remain so if they want to live in peace in that area, let alone attend college. In fact, she's a graduate student at Harvard, forget about the finals, there's every chance she's not going to end up being able to get her Ph.D. or law degree (the med school is on the other side of the Charles river, she's probably not going to it).

Higher education in the US is an increasingly losing proposition for those of us to the left of Mao.

Anonymous said...

I knew of a similar situation in California a friend went through.

If they are "jointly and severally liable" on the contract, then the other 6 people might be "jointly and severally liable" for third party/tortious interference with a contract and have to pay the costs for her moving and associated new rental costs, and any deposits this slimeball management company withholds, not to mentions interference with her right to privacy, which is an altogether different lawsuit. Then there's the finals she might not pass due to time lost dealing with legal issues. Heck, she could just start billing them for every hour she has to deal with the problem they caused, because . . . "feelings". With the right attorney, she COULD come out at least a little better prepared to start next semester (or do this one over again).
-MM

David Codrea said...

I believe this belongs here:

Sounds like the leasing company is in breach of contract? If the roommates don't like it, they can always move themselves and stipulate a no firearms clause. on It's the End of the World as We Know It

Peter Tripoli
at 11:28 AM