Thursday, April 25, 2019

That Depends

These are the U.S. states most and least dependent on the gun industry [More]
I'm sure they're trying to evoke some kind of conclusion here, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what except to bolster "progressive" wishful thinking that guns are losing popularity. I have to confess I've never really thought of state "dependency" outside of urging manufacturers to tell gun-grabbers to go to hell and good luck arming their "Only Ones."

I'm actually surprised the industry is as vigorous as it is, not just because of all the political and regulatory obstacles it has to navigate, but because guns are such durable and lasting products if properly maintained. Then again, I've never been a "gun person" as much as a "rights person." That's why you don't see product reviews or training tips and the like -- they're not my niche. The "animating contest" for me does not take place at a range.

1 comment:

DDS said...

One could easily make the case that if a State's economy drew a large percentage of revenue from a particular industry, and that if that industry tanked in any significant way, that the State as a whole would suffer as a result. West Virginia and coal would be one example. One could also mention California and agriculture, or New York and finance. But the article doesn't give figures about how much the "gun industry" contributes as a percentage of GDP for any state. As a result, the article doesn't show that any state would suffer financially if the entire industry disappeared. It merely says that some states would take more of a hit than others, but doesn't show any measure of "dependency" in any State.

I call "Bullshit!"