Thursday, October 24, 2019

License to Kill

JUDGE CHIN: What's your view on the [shooting someone on] Fifth Avenue example? Local authorities couldn’t investigate? They couldn’t do anything about it?
WILLIAM CONSOVOY: I think once a president is removed from office, any local authority, this is not a permanent immunity.
JUDGE CHIN: I'm talking about while in office, that is the [hypothetical]. Nothing could be done? That’s your position?
WILLIAM CONSOVOY: That is correct. That is correct. [More]
I see others recall this story.

I get the rationale but I'm not seeing a Constitutional power for the executive to do anything until removed from office. Conflicting rights and equal protection would demand immediate restraint.

The trick becomes where do you draw the line to keep enemies from using criminal charges as an impeachment workaround?  And we keep coming back to full due process for everyone, don't we, Mr.President?

[Via Mack H]

No comments: