Sunday, July 25, 2010

R.I.P. Straightarrow

I am briefly checking in from my hiatus to convey some very sad news.

Straightarrow (Charles H. Sawders) passed away on July 19--I just received a message from his wife.

I wish I had the time right now to compose a proper memorial to a man who shared so much wisdom and insight with us.

This Internet is an amazing phenomenon--I have lost a friend I never met in person.

I have no profound words, and I think he deserves some. I'm just sad.

My prayers are with his family.

UPDATE: As some of you may have noticed, I temporarily reopened comments during my hiatus so some of you could also leave a tribute. I'll be closing them off again later today, as I will not have time to moderate comments over the next week.

I found this obituary notice:
Charles Sawders
65, of Doddridge, Ark., died Monday, July 19, 2010, in Vivian, La.

Mr. Sawders was born March 4, 1945, in Bakersfield, Calif. He was a pipe fitter and a Baptist.

Survivors include his wife, Cathy Williams Sawders of Doddridge; three sons, Hunter Sawders of New Jersey, Christopher Sawders of Brownswood, Texas, and Steven Turner of Doddridge; three daughters, Shelly Bowen of East Dorsett, Vt., Veronica Jenkins of Comanche, Okla., and April Doeppers of Omaha, Neb.; his mother, Fran Boon of Duncan, Okla.; one brother, Jack Boon of Florida; one sister, Cherri Quinn of Portales, N.M.; 12 grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and a number of other relatives.

Services will be 10 a.m. Friday at Olive Branch Methodist Church, Doddridge, with the Rev. Walter Burnett officiating. Burial will be in Olive Branch Cemetery under the direction of Hanner Funeral Service.

Visitation will be 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. today at the funeral home.

Online registration is at hannerfuneralservice.com.

You may leave memories and comments that become part of the obituaries by registering and logging onto this site.
Here is the Hanner Funeral Service visitation page link. Then click here to sign the register book.

UPDATE 2: Hiatus resumed, comments now closed. Please leave additional condolences in the register book.

UPDATE 3: I've returned from my trip. Comments now reopened.

17 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

Yes, he was certainly well written.

strandediniowa said...

Sad news, David.

Charles was from Atlantic, Iowa and I missed a chance to meet him last month when he was back to visit. Time doesn't always work in our favor.

His words were sometimes sharp, straight and to the point, just like his moniker.

I'll miss him and will keep his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Shy Wolf said...

Being reasonably new to the internet, I bumped into StraightArrow on many of the places I frequent, especially Mike's. His Patriotism, wit, wisdom and knowledge, his common sense, were impressive.
It's always sad to lose a loved one, and StraightArrow was a loved one far beyond the reaches of his immediate family and friends.
I, too, will miss him.
God bless his family with peace and prosperity and warm, wonderful memories of the Man who loved them and walked among them.
Shy III

Kevin Wilmeth said...

I knew something was wrong today. Could not put my finger on it, but I knew.

"I'm just sad." Actually, David, I'm not sure it can be put better than that, for those of us who only knew him virtually. I would really have liked to meet him in person.

I found the direct way he represented himself refreshing, and challenging in just exactly the way that most of us need. I have grown because of his remarks, and will remember that fondly.

Personally, I'm counting on him to continue hounding the deserving from the great beyond. It somehow seems his style. :-)

Rest well, SA. You will be missed.

GunRights4US said...

Damn. I'm sorry to hear this. I never failed to enjoy his comments and letters. My prayers are with his family.

John Hardin said...

What a lousy way to start the week. I always read and always enjoyed his posts, and his no-nonsense demeanour, especially with silly idiots.

This diminishes us all.

Condolences to the family.

Kent McManigal said...

I have tears in my eyes as I write this and seriously feel like I have been slapped in the face.
We didn't always agree, but we agreed more often than he wanted to admit. Just awful news.

Anonymous said...

He and I sparred a few times on some issues, but I admired his wisdom. He will be missed.
Wyomarine

opaww said...

This is sad news, a real true American he was. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

For all I know, I may have met him if he was at the 9/12/2009 DC Tea Party rally or the 4/19/2010 RTC rally in VA.

Regardless, I appreciated his bluntness.

May he rest in peace. And God's peace to his family.

TJP said...

We lost one of the great ones. May he rest in peace.

the pistolero said...

Damn. RIP, Straightarrow.

Defender said...

A man of great courage and understanding.

Anna T said...

Thank ya'all for your kind words! I have had the pleasure of calling straightarrow dad and had the pleasure of him calling me one of his daughters! Dad was a wonderful man with a big heart! And it sounds like ya'all very well know the very opinionated side of him. He is very missed and loved with family and ya'all! He truly was a man who said what he meant and meant what he said with EVERYONE for that made him the man he was! Thank You

Ned said...

What a loss. I loved reading his posts. He'll be missed. My prayers are with him and his family.

Sean said...

Actually met the onery cuss last year. He was going to see his relatives in OK or Kansas, and he stopped by my house for a glass of iced tea. I changed my mind about a few things because of him, and got stronger in others, too. It is still kind of hard to understand he is gone. But we'll meet again, as he and I have the same Redeemer. I hear that bell tolling, and it reminds me too clearly of what SA and all of us stand for.

Ted N(not the Nuge) said...

Prayers for his family, godspeed for him. Always enjoyed reading his comments. Gonna miss him.