Monday, January 31, 2005

The Hebrew Kid and the Apache Maiden

I first became aware of Robert J. Avrech after he wrote an excellent article titled "Jews and Guns." As a long-time gentile supporter of Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, I believe we need RKBA allies across all demographics, and the argument that an armed people won't be loaded into cattle cars is pretty damned compelling.

That he is an established voice in Hollywood, having written the screenplay for Body Double, means his voice has a far reach, and has potential to first be noticed by, and then persuade folks who might not give me the time of day.

I began corresponding with Robert and he told me about his new novel, The Hebrew Kid and the Apache Maiden, the story of a Jewish immigrant family in America's Old West. The postive value of firearms deployed in moral hands is prominently portrayed (without falling into the trap of being "preachy"), and it also explains how coerced disarmament allowed for persecution and murder of Jews in the protagonist's Russian homeland.

My verdict: I loved this book, and not just because it validates my beliefs. I read it in one sitting, devoured it, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Robert asked me to write a review, which you can find on Amazon.com. While there, pick up a copy, or get one at the website for Robert's publishing company, Seraphic Press.

This book is suitable for literate children, and for anyone who likes a good story with characters you care about. Buy it. I did.

No comments: