Thursday, April 07, 2016

How You Can Help


I've been asked why I don't have a tip jar and take contributions. I never ask that for myself. Aside from not wanting to feel beholden or to see the same handful doing all the donating, it shouldn't be necessary. What I do ask is pretty simple, and hardly seems unfair:

IF (and only if) you get value from a piece and think others may as well, share the link. If you have a comment you'd like to make about my article, make it on the website where it appears instead of just under my announcement about it here.  If you're on social media, "like" and especially "share" the link on Facebook or tweet/retweet it on Twitter.

Basically, if you come across something you think helps advance your interests, spend one minute letting others know about it -- because traffic is the only way those sites have to measure bang for the buck (and no, unlike with Examiner, I do not get page view compensation). If you want to go the extra minute, send column links to larger media outlets and urge them to check out the work.

I don't want your money. But if you're a regular here, you keep returning for a reason. I would appreciate if you let your friends and colleagues know why.

6 comments:

Phillip said...

Never saw this post....wish I had. I do it for my children and grandchildren, so maybe they won't have a boot on their necks

Anonymous said...

If it's all you ask, it's a small price. So I will pay it. Read this blog, and follow the links. Take the red pill and act.

Henry said...

“If you have a comment you’d like to make about it, make it on the website where the article appears.”

As someone who has never and will never use Facebook or Twitter, this would be the only thing on your list that I could do for you. What I don’t understand is how me commenting on an article you link to, at the article’s own website (though I do this plenty), helps you at all. It doesn’t drive traffic to your page, it doesn’t get your name out in public. Maybe if you clarify this, I could do whatever it is that you’re needing.

David Codrea said...

Comments under my articles create dialog which generates further interest and more visits, meaning if the client sees enough traffic they'll be persuaded it is worth it to continue paying me, as opposed to deciding they can't justify the cost-- which has resulted in some discontinuing my services, as has happened with some I have written for. "Social media" which I'd like to see more use as advocacy media is the only way aside from this blog I have to promote my work. It's not like the media has any interests in paying attention to what I write, which is a big reason why Gunwalker and many other exclusives I've put out over the years went and will continue to go nowhere. And as I have noted in articles before, the other side uses it to great effect and if we do not, we are ceding that information tool to the enemy without a fight.

Henry said...

Thanks. My confusion was that it wasn’t clear that you were asking us to leave comments on linked articles that were *written by you*. The great majority of the articles you link are news articles at MSM websites, features on YouTube, and similar, and I couldn’t imagine how us leaving comments there would promote you at all. I understand now.

David Codrea said...

Revised language to clarify. I'll probably confuse someone else now.