Sunday, January 15, 2006

Police Told Gun Was Toy

The family of a 13-year-old Florida boy shot by police say officers were told the gun he held was not real.

Ralph Penley said when he arrived at the Millwee Middle School in suburban Orlando on Friday morning, he told Seminole County Sheriff`s deputies his son Christopher only had a replica pistol, CNN said. The boy`s younger brother says he told school officials the same thing.
Why should authorities have taken their word for it? They're only "civilians." And you know how they lie.

Tags: ,

3 comments:

E. David Quammen said...

The matter is quite simple - BLOOD LUST!
And LACK of ENOUGH PEOPLE STANDING UP and putting these 'public servants' in their CONSTITUTIONALLY ENUMERATED place!

Anonymous said...

I've never been a LEO. I'm firmly committed to the belief that all LEO's should be held to the absolute highest standard of ethical behavior, and LEO incompetence, dereliction of duty, and criminal behavior should be punished MORE harshly than mere civilians should be, not less.

That said, if this kid had walked into my workplace and pointed his toy gun at me, I'd have killed him immediately.

David Codrea said...

True, Lee--if he walked into our workplace and we had no idea, we'd have no choice. But to address Jay--again, I have to agree the cops couldn't know for sure, and also agree the kid was trying for suicide by cop--but they had information that was quite credible from the parents that the gun was not a firearm--and from what I've read, there was a lapse of time they could have attempted to substantiate that. I wouldn't demand another put his life on the line for me, but I also don't think they should be able to prevent me from putting my life on the line for another. I think they should have let the father take the risk if he was willing--see how certain he was it was a BB gun. I've read elsewhere no cop would do that, but I guess I have to ask--in a free society-- why not?