Thursday, June 08, 2006

“Justifiably-Maligned Assault Rifles”-Part II

Opinion articles are easy to write. All you need is an opinion and a basic grasp of language.

Well-writen, informed and correct opinion articles are another matter.

Yesterday, I responded to an anti UN gun-grab editorial where its author, Bob Confer, made a good case for defending gun rights with one key exception: he claimed "assault weapons" were "justifiably maligned."

I contacted Mr. Confer and invited him to justify maligning them. He responded, and parts of his response were troubling: he believes they're only made for killing, although he is open to being "swayed."

It's troubling because, via published opinion pieces and radio appearances, he has established himself as a liberty leader of sorts, someone who influences the course of public debate, and thus, public acceptance of political actions. To do this with such a fundamental lack of knowledge as he has displayed is irresponsible. His "assault weapon" stance is essentially identical to that of the Brady Campaign.

We've run into "sportsmen" who call for "reasonable gun laws" before. I don't think Mr. Confer is overtly one of these guys, but if he maintains and continues to promulgate the Fuddite concept that "sporting purposes" guns are good and ugly, cheap, too big, too small, too hot or too cold guns are bad, his effect will be twofold:
  • It will misinform the general public.
  • It will continue dividing the gun owner community, with the sporting crowd protecting their turf, but abandoning "shall not be infringed."
I haven't seen any indication from Mr. Confer that he's been swayed, despite many discerning responses from WarOnGuns contributors. Particular kudos go to regular correspondent straightarrow, who never fails to impress me with his insights and ability to articulate them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Anonymous said...

I've said it before in conversation with you, David ... sometimes our own side doesn't understand what the fight is about. There are definitely those who are not from "our side" that weigh in on the issue and do much damage. Then there are those who are "on our side" that just don't understand but nevertheless do just as much damage. It's good for you to call them out when you see them.

Discouraging as those people may be, I am greatly encouraged when I see postings from the likes of straightarrow. That was the most focused and articulate response to a specific subject that I have seen of late. I hope he dosen't mind but I have printed it and added it to my binder titled "Of Freedom and Guns."

Please remember though, a few short years ago I would have agreed that there was such a thing as a reasonable gun law. After following your blog and much, much personal research and thought I have come to realize that no such animal exists. Perhaps our friend, Mr. Bob Confer, will someday make the journey as well. I hope.