Monday, January 22, 2007

"But the System is Not Dead-on Accurate"

Sixteen cities across the country have installed ShotSpotter, a system of rooftop listening devices that triangulates the origin of gunshots and pinpoints, in seconds, the location on a map. This week, Boston introduces a plan to spend $1.5 million on the system...

But the system is not dead-on accurate, meaning police must be circumspect about how they use the new trove of data, warn civil liberty advocates. Data from ShotSpotter has not yet been challenged in court, and both the company and defense attorneys predict an eventual showdown.
That's why I'm waiting for someone to propose a new bill requiring all bullets be equipped with GPS transponders...along with mandatory shutoff switches on all firearms that the police can activate via radio signal from a safe distance, or maybe even deactivate them all by satellite signal in a time of emergency.

Hey, who could possibly be against that but someone up to no good?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure wish you hadn't hastened them along. They would have eventually come up with those ideas themselves.

David Codrea said...

I wrote about gun shutoffs years ago, back when they developed the technology to stop engines in police pursuits.

Believe me, there's no outrage I'm going to be able to think of that isn't already part of some anti's wet dream of domination.

Anonymous said...

Very sad, very true, David.

How are you, SA?

Anonymous said...

One way or another, I will keep my all-mechanical guns .in good repair

Anonymous said...

Every time these ShotSpotter things come up I have to wonder how well they can filter out a firecracker in a pipe.
Boyhood in South Dakota taught me many... 'usefull' things. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm good E.David. Get better looking every day. Wait, what do you mean it's my eyes getting worse.

Mostly, lately, I am in state of perpetual outrage.

I think the day is coming, but then again I thought it had come more than twenty years ago. I just keep getting fooled by the depth of "don't give a shit" in the average American.

Anonymous said...

Never before have I felt such an urge to drive a loud, backfiring car aimlessly around Redwood city.