Sunday, March 04, 2007

We're the Only Ones Permissive Enough

Quincy Police Chief Robert Crowley, for instance, said shortly after taking the job in 2004 that his style in issuing permits would be more restrictive than his predecessors.

Crowley’s policy requires that people applying for a handgun license have some reason more than self-defense. The policy has triggered intense criticism from gun-rights activists from across the state, as well as legal challenges, but he has never backed away from it.

‘‘I have not budged. I still believe what I said originally. I want a good reason, and a need, then I will give you a license to carry a firearm,’’ Crowley said this week.

If someone, for instance, says he needs to carry a firearm because he walks at night, and would feel more protected if he was licensed to carry a firearm, ‘‘well, my mother used to walk at night, and she never carried a firearm,’’ Crowley said.

‘‘If someone says ‘I carry large sums of money,’ well nobody ever said what a large sum of money is,’’ Crowley said in explaining why that person might be denied.

On the other hand, if a person owns a restaurant or other business that necessitates making nightly cash deposits, ‘‘to me, that is reasonable,’’ Crowley said.

‘‘I do not deny a person a permit because I do not like them. I deny them for a specific reason,’’ he said.

My rights, Chief Crowley, are not subject to your inane opinions, and are certainly not going to be held hostage waiting for your permission.

The thing is, if someone did get caught "illegally" carrying concealed, there would be no shortage of self-styled forum warrior "gun rights activists" complaining how "that makes us all look bad."

[Via Declan]

[More from "The Only Ones" files...]

1 comment:

Drew said...

"I deny them for a specific reason." Yes, you deny them because you don't respect their rights. I'm armed not out of fear, but as an exercise of God-given rights. I don't make nightly deposits, but I live as a free man, and therefore have the duty to protect my freedoms. Yes, I would defend myself or others without hesitation, but my freedom is the best reason to remain armed.