Friday, March 16, 2007

We're the Only Ones with Editorial Discretion Enough

Under the law, only journalists -- not the general public -- can obtain the information but they cannot copy it. The requests highlight the increasingly murky definition of journalists in the age of the Internet...

Ohio law says a journalist is a person who works for a newspaper, magazine, radio or television station "or a similar medium."
So basically, under Ohio law, a free citizen who carries on the tradition of the early pamphleteers of the Republic is not an "authorized journalist," but a propagandist for, say Al-Jazeera or People's Weekly World (or something really subversive, like The Los Angeles Times) is...

Isn't it great, that "The Only Ones" get to decide who the government watchdogs are? And we've seen how responsible and devoted to liberty their "appointees" have turned out to be...

I could help out, but have mixed feelings--yes, I am one of those dreaded "AJs" I'm constantly railing against--I fit the definition of Ohio's law, right alongside my Pravda colleagues: I work for a magazine and have a press card (which I've never used), so technically, I could requisition the names on their behalf. But I'm so dead set against the idea of lists that--even if the Ohio gun activists intend to use the information to promote a greater good, I'd struggle with the ends justifying the means. It boils down to it's really none of my damn business if you or anyone else carries concealed, and just because I could get access doesn't mean I should--not that anybody has asked me to stick my big, fat nose in this, mind you.

I'd be interested in feedback on this. If you had "press credentials," would you volunteer to help get this information? Why or why not?

[Via Buckeye Firearms Association]

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way I see it is, even though the government handles this info, it is not government info. It is private information about private individuals. And that's where we need to draw the line about what's available to the public, and what isn't.

Jay said...

"You have to wonder why they are doing this," said Bob Cornwell, the executive director of Buckeye State Sheriffs' Association. "Is it for recruitment? Is it for notification -- that there are people like you living nearby? We just don't know."

Here's a novel concept, Bob: It isn't anyone's business. Don't turn over the info.

Anonymous said...

If, as they say, they want the information for stastical analysis I have no problem with them sending an actuary who can do the analysis, omitting the names and addresses, of the permittees.

He would be able to do a breakdown by age, gender, occupation, geographic dispersal et al and no one is placed in danger. There is no justifiable need for anyone to know the names and addresses of the permittees and this course would lessen the likelihood of that happening.

In a perfect world there would be no list, nor would there be permit in place of a right. So, no, were I an "AJ" I probably would not seek the list, if instead, I could have a blind analysis done by an actuary.

I find it a little strange that LE is suddenly concerned about their purposes in wanting the lists. They sure didn't have any reservations when it was an intimidation tactic of the anti-gunners.

BobG said...

I'd have to agree with straightarrow on this; as long as there is no personal information that can be traced back to individuals, it is not a problem. And I would not help anyone compile a list, because they may not have the same attitude of respecting private and personal information.

Anonymous said...

David, I saw a short story about New Haven, Conn. police department being raided by the FBI, with long time members of the department arrested on numerous charges. Haven't heard about it at all on the MSM, but did figure you would have more info about it. Something about using their powers as only one's to steal money at crime scenes. Just wondering?

Anonymous said...

Anon: Google is your friend. http://tinyurl.com/yur2uu

It's all over the news here in CT.

Anonymous said...

So, would the extra protections that journalists get by being a member of an official "press" organization be an example of the First Amendment being converted to a "collective right"?