Friday, April 25, 2008

We're the Only Ones Mentoring Enough

An off-duty 65-year-old Baltimore police officer was shot and killed by another officer Thursday morning after he left a strip club wearing brass knuckles during a brawl and drew a handgun, police said...

"Officer Stamp was a mentor to some and a friend to many," Bealefeld said.
I'm sure he was, and there will be no shortage of younger officers following his example.

Gee, I thought "metal knuckles" were illegal in Maryland. Oh, they are--with proper "Only One" exceptions, of course. I have mixed feelings about them--on the one hand, using them in a "fair fight" seems cowardly, on the other hand, I don't believe in fair fights--if someone attacks me, I will have tried to disengage if possible, so anything goes.

Still, I've never seen a drunken bar brawl that didn't involve poor individual choices by all parties involved, starting with the decison to frequent such a place, or not notice what it's like and get the hell out. Add an aggressive disposition and a bit of alcohol, bring in a few sexy young thangs to stir up male rivalries and...

But there I go being "judgmental" again.

See, this is why they need to pass laws making sure you and I can't carry in bars. If a trained heroic professional can't handle it, what chance do I have, immature and moral weakling that I am...?

And if I know I can't trust myself, I sure as hell can't admit that I might trust you.

[Via Carlton R]

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done. Your "Only One's" posts never fail to disappoint!

Anonymous said...

What in the...

Ctone, did you mean his post never disappoint, or did you mean that the actions of the "Only Ones" never fail to disappoint?

Or was this a vicious attempt at satire?

Kent McManigal said...

It wasn't not a double negative.

Unknown said...

Typical Baltimore, full of so much corruption it does not phase me anymore. Of course the corruption does not stop only within Baltimore but the entire state for that matter.

Unknown said...

My inglish went out the window this mornign because I hasn't had enouf coffie.

To answer your question - both. I'm not a big fan of Baltimore, and definitely not their police force as I have had bad relations with them in the past. I read David's "Only One" post every day because he is always right on the money.

Oops, there I go again...

Anonymous said...

I don't have much of a problem with it. As long as the criminals only kill other criminals, as seems to be the case here.