Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Snuffy You Know vs the One You Don't

When I got the news last night about Snuffy Pfleger's Napoleonic exile, I really didn't have time to do much more than make a quick post. There are a few observations I want to make sure are in the mix.

From the story I originally linked to:
This past Sunday, Pfleger told St. Sabina's congregation that he's received more than 3,000 threatening e-mails – some calling for his death. The messages caused the church to beef up security for Sunday's services.
What--did they say bloodthirsty stuff like "Snuff out Mike P-F-L-E-G-E-R?" And death threats? You reported those for investigation, right?

And what does "beef up security" mean? Aside from the fact that you've shown the only way to opppose a threat of force is to possess sufficient deterrent force, and the display of same is often enough to repel a threat?

Meanwhile, things are getting interesting over at St. Sabina, with the congregation demanding Snuffy's reinstatement--and some going on a hunger strike. It's fairly obvious the loyalty is to the man, not to the church, which lends itself to all kinds of interesting conclusions and creates all kinds of interesting possibilities if the demands are not met.

One other revelation I found quite telling:

Over the weekend, he said that the days since his Trinity address had been the most difficult of his life, even more painful than when his foster son Jarvis was gunned down near St. Sabina on May 30, 1998.
Good grief--literally. It really is all about you, isn't it, Snuffy?

That is simply not a statement anyone who is a real father-- biological or adoptive-- could make. The levels of pain aren't even on the same scale. Or shouldn't be.

Now on to the replacement Snuffy: Here are a couple bits of information concerning temporary stand-in, Father William Vanecko. We might as well just start calling him Snuffy Lite, because:

3 comments:

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

He's another anti-gun hand-wringer

He may very well be (in fact, I'd be kind of surprised if he were not), but I'm not sure his involvement with CeaseFire Chicago indicates that. I haven't been able to dig up any evidence of CeaseFire Chicago advocating gun legislation.

I'm not saying that they don't--just that I haven't found it.

I don't have a problem with groups that work to attack the underlying sociological dysfunction that leads to violent crime.

David Codrea said...

I dunno, 45S--saying "right on their website they "Actively rally and work against guns, gun use, and gun trafficking" seems pretty indicative to me...and having Boss Daley as an honorary chair says a lot, too.

And I love it that last year, one of their prize outreach mediators got busted with an AK and a handgun.

You're right, of course--if someone works against violence, that is a different animal--but not just "gun violence," mind you, as that bespeaks an agenda. Hell, I work against violence, too--and so do you and all the rational activists who work in the pro-RKBA movement. Also, the epidemic/pathology model is something exploited by the likes of Hemenway and Wintemute, and it truly is a misleading analogy.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

"Actively rally and work against guns, gun use, and gun trafficking"

How did I miss that? I stand corrected, although I still don't see them as being very active (at least openly) in trying to influence legislation.