Sunday, September 28, 2008

Great Expectations

Really, David. I expected better from Bracken, and I certainly expected better from you.

Commentator Joel expresses disappointment with racial theme elements in the "Foreign Enemies" online sample.

Author Matthew Bracken responds:

I’m not sure what politically correct planet Joel hails from, or if he has some other axe to grind, but I’m confused by his comments. He begins by referring to “all those EEEVIL dirty brown people” in Domestic Enemies. Was he referring to the heroine, the Arab-American Ranya Bardiwell? Or perhaps to the hero, Alexandro Garabanda, a Cuban-American? Domestic Enemies is set in the future in New Mexico, during a period when the Southwest is fracturing away from the United States. Yes, plenty of bad guys in the novel are Hispanic. Plenty of the good guys are as well. Perhaps if I had set the novel in North Dakota, and invented an immigration invasion by Canadians leading to…never mind. You get my point. If I’m going to write reality-based fiction about the breakup of the USA, set in the Southwest, it’s going to be pretty hard to avoid some Hispanic bad guys. Sorry Joel, if that offends your PC sensibilities. (And don’t hold your breath waiting for my novel about North Dakota.)

As far as cannibalism occurring three weeks after the complete cutoff of Memphis from the outside world, following a Richter level eight earthquake—yes Joel, that would happen. Spend a little time researching such disasters. People don’t quietly starve, while calmly sitting at home. The young and the strong quickly revert to cannibalism in the face of the total cutoff of other sources of food. History shows this, over and over. In the posted excerpt, there is one case of cannibalism described, in a city of over a million inhabitants.

Considering that you found the internet posted sections of Domestic Enemies to be full of “all those EEEVIL dirty brown people,” (despite the ethnicity of the heroes and its Southwestern setting), I’m not surprised that you would compare the posted excerpt from Foreign Enemies to the infamous white racist screed, “The Turner Diaries.” Perhaps you stopped reading these excerpts, before you got to the story of Web Hardesty? He is a white racist villain of the first order, using the breakdown of law and order following the earthquake to engage in a vendetta against African-Americans and Hispanics in Western Tennessee. I’ll say it in your terms: Web Hardesty is an “EEEVIL dirty white person.”

In Foreign Enemies, a rough sort of race war is introduced as one of several background plot elements. Blacks and whites are portrayed in both heroic and evil roles. Perhaps you are simply offended that I would dare to suggest that a complete breakdown in the social order would lead to racial atrocities being committed on all sides? If so, I would suggest that you are a Pollyanna, inhabiting the lofty airs of politically correct thought, viewing the world through rose-colored glasses.

Forgive me if I don’t think that folks will be holding hands and singing Kumbaya, three weeks after an earthquake wrecks most of the bridges between Little Rock, Saint Louis and Nashville. In Memphis, after three weeks with no food, drinking water, electricity or gas, I believe that we would see many of the worst traits that humanity has demonstrated under similar circumstances down through the ages.

I don’t expect that Joel will be reading Foreign Enemies, after he saw “all those EEEVIL dirty brown people” in Domestic Enemies, (in spite of the fact that the heroes are themselves “brown people.”) But for anyone else who read and enjoyed my first two novels, I make this promise: Foreign Enemies ends with a positive resolution of most of the various crises described. This includes a racial reconciliation by several of the characters, who had come to distrust members of differing ethnicities.

And please don’t get the idea that Foreign Enemies is primarily about racial conflict. That is merely one of the plot elements, in a novel that is mainly about the total usurpation of the Constitution by a rogue President and Congress.

Matt Bracken

Florida

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read all of it, and I can't figure out why Bracken would be upset with you, David. What did I miss?

Anonymous said...

Overall, without reading the book I must add, it sounds like a plot mishmash from a couple other titles. "The Rift" comes to mind with the "evil" white sheriff running death camps in the backwoods.

Anonymous said...

Some folks just gotta complain about something, I guess...

tjbbpgob said...

I have puchased the first two books and read them both a couple of times. I fully expect to do thr same for the third. All were well written, the plots were good and the characters well fleshed out. Good job Matt.

David Codrea said...

ML--don't know how you got the idea Bracken is upset with me.

Anonymous said...

OOps... that was Joel who was nattering at you. Not Bracken. I don't usually jump to conclusions like that.

Anyway, I'm glad. :)

Doc Holliday said...

After the grocery stores empty out, fuel runs out, and electricity and water quit... you'd all better have your own supplies, weapons, and keep close watch on your dogs and children....

We'd ALL be humanitarians within a week.

Plain ramen soup just won't suffice!

Anonymous said...

Late to the game again. Sorry.

I can see where Matthew would be upset by my comment, and I apologize for causing upset if it wasn't warranted. Frankly I didn't expect anyone to read it.

As I said, I based my opinion only on the posted excerpts. I haven't read the sequel and could easily be all wet.

FYI, Matthew, the "PC planet" I hail from is the east side of Detroit, where I grew up a skinny white kid. I'm very familiar with racism: I'm very familiar with being on the receiving end of it, and as I recall I didn't care too much for it. Having given it a lot of thought since, I've just concluded that probably nobody else does, either.

It may really just be my peculiar perspective, but parts of the excerpt I read came across as racist to me and I didn't like those parts. Just sayin'.

In the first book, which I enjoyed very much and still own, you concentrated on what I perceive as the real enemy of free people. Maybe in the books as a whole you're staying with that, and the real problem is the policies instituted and enforced by that enemy. I hope so.

I really do wish you well, and again apologize for having given offense if it was unwarranted.

David Codrea said...

Nobody's picking on you here, Joel. Your comment struck me as sufficiently important to warrant a standalone post, because if you had that impression, others may as well. So it's best to address it head on.

The "I expected better" is what I want to address. From what I have seen from Matt in his writings and through our correspondences, I have come to trust him and not reach conclusions that aren't supported by his past work. I always expect the good, and he's never let me down. Sure, that always leaves a possibility to be unpleasantly surprised (that's life), but experience makes me comfortable doing this.

I hope this makes you more comfortable, too.

Anonymous said...

I don't feel the least bit picked on, David. Actually I was kind of honored to sort of get my own post on my favorite gun blog, though I wish it hadn't been because of a disagreement.

I was born and spent my first several years in inner Detroit, as I said. I've seen and experienced some really ugly racism. Then my family moved to the south, where I saw the other side of it. "I got nothing against niggers," went the old joke. "I think everybody should own one." I didn't like that, either. So maybe I'm oversensitive, I don't know.

I've got a lot of respect for your views, so I'll set aside ingratiating apologies and speak plainly. I read this excerpt - which you approvingly posted - where Memphis blacks descend - not just to cannibalism, but to open, institutional cannibalism - within three weeks of a disaster. No frickin' way. Kill the weak and each other and take their food, sure: predators will do that. But nobody raised anywhere near this culture would be that open and unapologetic about cannibalism, at least not right away. These guys seemed to just be waiting for the chance. Then, as if to drive the message home, we've got ravening hordes of blacks getting likkered up on stolen booze and setting about the business of raping virtuous white women. David, stereotypes don't get more raw than this. Racism doesn't get more open than this. I've met Klansmen in Georgia who were more circumspect.

If Matthew wants to believe I live in some PC dream world, fine. Whatever. But this just isn't the picture I want gun culture writers to spread. We've got troubles enough without adding to them with our own pens.