Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pilot Error

The classic and well-worn illustration is that it is irresponsible - not to mention illegal - to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater, though the right to free speech is one of America's most cherished. The reason for the prohibition is that people might be hurt in a stampede to escape.
The Virginia-Pilot said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Stuff it, you despicable police state-demanding cowards. You can yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater--there is no prior restraint.

And yeah, right. As we've seen time and again, only the "Only Ones" can be trusted to bear arms without making us regurgitate our cuds. Leave it to effete Orwellian wimps to redefine responsibility as irresponsibility. That way, those who insist on everyone being a potential victim are the responsible ones.

I guess if they repeat that lie enough, they can look in the mirror and deem themselves, if not self-determining men, at least house slaves, and thus superior to the rougher ones in the field.

[Via Mack H]

4 comments:

Kent McManigal said...

I am of the (unpopular) opinion that you DO have a right to yell fire in a crowded theater, but...

The_Chef said...

I'm going to disagree with David on this one.

Isn't it an inherent violation of property rights? I paid for my ticket, I have a contractual right to the seat I paid for. Therefor by falsely yelling fire, you deprive me of my right to that seat.

Sorry David, even the Libertarians disagree with you some times.

David Codrea said...

Chef, did you read the article I linked to?

Anonymous said...

In David's defense, his was quoting the Pilot's error. That is, THEY got it wrong. Many do. The actual quote from the famous Schenck opinion is:

"...the most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic."


Clearly, falsely shouting fire is a lie and is therefore not protected speech. David knows this.